The internet is an amazing place for children. Your child is able to play, learn, create and connect with others, like in no other way. The internet opens up a whole new world of exciting possibilities and opportunities. But the internet can also be a scary, confusing and harmful place for children and teens. So how can you protect your child from these threats, and be safe on the world wide web?
Parental controls are an important way to keep your child safe online. Parental controls can be used to block upsetting, harmful or inappropriate content, control in-app purchases and manage how long your child spends browsing and playing on the internet.
Innocent searches sometimes reveal not so innocent results. If you’re worried about what your child is searching for online, who they’re talking to, or what they are seeing, parental controls are the way to go!
Parental controls are software and tools which you can install on phone, tablets, computers, games consoles, and even across your whole home broadband system. You can also use them to help you block or filter the content your child sees when searching online, at home or on public Wi-Fi when you’re out and about. Parental controls can also restrict what time of day and how long your child is online for, stop them downloading apps they are too young for or cost money, and manage the content different members of the family can see.
Here are some other tips for your children, especially when on social media and chat services with their friends…
- Don’t post any personal information online such as your address, email address or phone number
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos online as once you post these they may be available for anyone to download
- Keep your privacy settings as high as possible
- Never give out your passwords or secret question answers
- Don’t meet up with people you’ve met online. Speak to your parent or guardian about people suggesting you to
- Remember that not everyone online is who they say they are
- Think carefully about what you say before you post it online
- Respect other people online
- If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried, leave the website, turn off your computer and tell an adult
Whilst staying safe online, remember to keep your device safe too!
Our new Evo Play case for iPad Mini is available here, in 2 great color choices! With the Evo Play you can have all the fun, without the fear! You can even put it through the dishwasher for a good clean! For all iPad Mini cases head over to tech21.