Apple iOS 10.3 has surfaced, the developer version (beta 1) has now been available since late January… But what is new?
The Find my iPhone app has been given a very useful new feature. Back when the Apple AirPods were introduced to us back at the iPhone 7 launch, the question on everyone’s mind was how can you keep track of their whereabouts? Especially are they are not cheap, at $159.
But of course the clever people at Apple have a solution to these worries. This is a new ‘Find My Airpods’ feature that allows users to locate their missing cord-free Apple earbuds. The feature lives inside Apple’s Find my iPhone app, which allows owners to locate their missing iOS devices on a map via iCloud and a standalone iOS app. Worth noting is that the AirPods rely on Bluetooth connectivity, therefore they need to be in range of the iOS device (which isn’t a huge distance). The app will also allow you to play audio from the AirPods which could help you locate the lost AirPod if it’s out of sight. This audio will be significantly louder than the normal listening volume, so Apple make it clear that you should ensure that you do not activate this sound when you have the AirPods in your ears!
Other features for iOS 10.3 include:
- Siri learns cricket scores from Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Safari now supports Reduced Motion preference in web apps
- New prominent user security section in Settings app
- iOS 10.3 uses new Apple File System (APFS)
- Podcasts app now has a widget like Music app, same app design
- No “Theater Mode” or Control Center toggle on iOS 10.3, but Apple documentation says watchOS update will include which may activate on iPhone
- CarPlay now has quick access to last three used apps for quick switching without accessing the Home screen
- CarPlay also gains quick access to albums from songs in Music, new Up Next screen
- Weather data in Maps app now has 3D Touch forecast
- When iOS 10.3 ships to customers, you will be able to respond to customer reviews on the App Store in a way that is available for all customers to see.